Thursday, June 4, 2009

On the way to Stratford!

Basically, tons of stuff happened in the past couple days and it is going to be intense to blog about them all! I am gonna split it up into two or three posts. This is post one!

We went up to Stratford-Upon-Avon this week, but on the way there we made some notable stops. First, we went to Coventry Cathedral. I loved it!

Coventry Cathedral was bombed out in the war, so there are two parts to the remaining cathedral - the ruins of the old cathedral and a new, modern Cathedral. The ruins and the new cathedral are attached to each other, but they are not the same building. The ruins were really neat:
The new cathedral is very, very modern. i could not get a very good picture of the outside of the cathedral because it was right in front of the sun, but I got some cool pictures of the inside and the sculptures.

One of the things I love about the new Cathedral is the statue of Satan being cast out of heaven. So stinking cool!
Also, the stained-glass windows are absolutely stunning. Even though they are very modern, they are very beautiful. On one wall, there is a clear window with angels etched into the glass. I could not get a good picture at all of the entire wall, but I manged to get this picture of and etched angel. I love the etches!
After Coventry Cathedral, we went to Kennilworth Castle. This castle is only ruins, but I love ruins, so I love this castle! The last stop of before Stratford was Warwick Castle. Professor Fielding lovingly calls Warwick "The Disneyland of England's Castles." I lovingly named it, "The Medieval Club's Heaven." Imagine a combination of these two nicknames, and there you have it! Warwick Castle!

Warwick Castle is a medieval theme park set up around a real English Castle. Warwick has a trebuchet that they actually fire off ! I am going to try to get the video up later. I absolutely love the trebuchet.

The highlight of Warwick, at least for me, is probably the wax figures. There are hundreds of them, and they all look so real! Here is King Henry the somethingth and all of his wives:
They also set up tons of people just doing every day things from life in the Victorian age.
I did have one rebellious story from the stay at Warwick. An especially cool set of towers was opened all day, but just happened to be closed time we wanted to check them out. Our group was leaving in twenty minutes, so we were running out of time! So we decided it would be a great idea to climb up the down staircase and explore the two towers anyways. It was a blast! Here we are ducking for a picture:
Tomorrow: Adventures in Stratford!

2 comments:

  1. I have been to Warwick castle!! Did you see a dog drinking out of a toilet (outhouse??) by any chance among the wax figures?? Also I'm pretty sure we have a picture of Mary Beth behind the guy with quill and glasses. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Warwick. I forgot about that. That was a fun place.
    -Rebecca

    ReplyDelete