Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Museum of London, St. Paul's Cathedral, and Westminster

Today we went to the Museum of London as a class. It was a fun experience. The museum contains artifacts from London throughout the years. It was definitely a fun experience, but over half of the museum was closed due to renovation, so we didn't get to see very much. Still, a worthwhile experience.


My favorite exhibit in the museum was an entire section on the fire of 1666. It was a devastating fire that wiped out the entire city. The artifacts they had on display, and the stories that accompanied these artifacts, were very moving. To finally stop the fire, they tore down buildings to create a gap that couldn't burn. interesting that the way to stop mass destruction is to destroy the very livelihood of innocent citizens.

The museum was a little hands-on, with fireman's hats that you could try on for yourself! Look, I am ready to fight a fire!


St. Paul's Cathedral was the highlight of the day! The outside of the cathedral is stunning, and the inside of the cathedral was absolutely beautiful, but we could not take any pictures.


We paid 8.25 pounds to climb the stairs to the top of the cathedral and visit the Whispering Gallery and walk on the balcony.The pay was totally worth it! Of all the things I have done in London so far, this has been my favorite; this is my #1 suggestion for anyone who is going to visit.

In the afternoon, we strolled around Westminster. I loved it! I saw Big Ben!


I also saw this guard on his horse. The guards take their job very, VERY seriously. I ran across many of them, and not one smiled or even looked at me. It must be a great matter of pride to be in the Royal Guard.


I did not get the chance to see Westminster Abby, Parliament, Buckingham Palace, or many of the other major landmarks, but I did get to go to St. James' Park. The park was beautiful! and there are chairs all over, so it is not hard to find a place to sit and enjoy the peace you feel at the park.


After the park, we met back up with our class and went to the Banqueting House. The audio tour was educational and very interesting.

The Banqueting House is most famous for the ceiling painted by a famous artist named Rubens. It was beautiful! Still, it is a very small and less grandiose than the surrounding area. If you want to visit, I would suggest going in the evening to a dinner event.

No comments:

Post a Comment