First Stop: Stonehenge!
I really, absolutely, positively LOVED Stonehenge! I will admit it was not as massive as I thought it was going to be, but I have grown up around skyscrapers, so I have a skewed perspective. But still, the stones were really! It really felt like a mystical place!
There are a lot of theories about what Stonehenge was used for and how it got there. Some people this it was a house of worship, some people think it was a house of healing, and some people believe it was put there by aliens! As for me, I am leaning towards the alien theory myself. ;)Second stop: Salisbury!
What in heavens name is Salisbury? Well, it is a very small city with a particularly impressive cathedral in the center. The Salisbury Cathedral has the tallest spire in Europe! You can see it from a really long distance, but up close it is especially awe-inspiring. The inside of the cathedral is stunning, I love the Gothic architecture.
A special font recently got pun into the center of the cathedral. It is really impressive! Basically, it is a reflection pool in which you can see all of the ceiling and high architecture of the building. I really loves the reflection pool, but I couldn't get a great picture, so these will have to do!
Salisbury is my favorite Cathedral I have visited so far. I was especially impressed with the "Chapter House." It holds the clearest original copy of the Magna Carta, which was really fun to see. The architecture in that room especially was magnificent! And there were friezes circling the room that told all the stories form the books of Genesis and Exodus. I especially liked the friezes. Unfortunately, there were no photos allowed in the Chapter House! Sorry!Last stop of the day: Bath!
Bath was a pretty cool place! It is a Georgian city, and it is gorgeous! I really wish I could have spent more time there. There are little shops and street performers everywhere! Bath is most famous for its Roman Baths that are formed from hot springs in the ground!
The great adventure at Bath was drinking the natural spring water. Supposedly it is full of about a million vitamins and minerals that prevent me from ever getting sick again! Unfortunately I couldn't finish my glass. The water was a little too warm and flavorful for me!
The highlight of the trip was the "Bathing Women" street performers. They would go up to fountains and trees and bridges and pretend to be bathing themselves! It was hilarious!
The one thing I really wanted to do in England that I didn't get to was go to stonehenge. I am jealous!
ReplyDeleteWell these bathing beauties roaming the steet of Bath performing look really darn intertaining if you ask me!! However Stonehenge is a bazillion years old so that is pretty darn cool too. Thanks for posting everything Amy I sure enjoy every step of your experience!!! Love you, mom
ReplyDelete